Wednesday, March 17, 2010

...Healthy Cook Wear Continued

Cast Iron Cookware

Plain Jane, right? Unglamorous but unsurpassed in heat production, like Harrison Ford. These weigh a ton and take a bit of time to heat up. I find that I have to warm up the pan while finishing my food prep, I can save a lot of time. There are three principals to keep in mind when using cast-iron:
1. A well seasoned pan will not stick.
2. Don't use dish soap. If something stick use hot water and a bristle brush, then re-coat your pan with oil.
3. Food cooked in a no-coated cast iron pan contains twice the amount of iron. Good news for anemic me!


Enameled Coated Cast-Iron
As far as enameled coated cast-iron cook wear, I hear, that not only is it safe but far superior in quality. I don’t personally own any. I do hope to someday in the near future! I have read about Le Creuset cook wear. Le Creuset is a French company that has specialized in enameled coated cast-iron pots and pans since 1925.
“Le Creuset is consistently chosen by leading chefs, restaurateurs, and those who just enjoy cooking; all of whom appreciate its performance, cooking advantages and style. “-Le Creuset Website
It stands to reason that’s on Le Creuset’s reputation alone, it would be a great addition to any healthy kitchen(no, I have no connection to them). I have heard from several people that it is very functional and easy to clean up. Not to mention attractive. So….sigh…I will keep saving my pennies.

I have found that Stainless Steel and Cast-Iron are efficient, healthy and relatively easy to use. I am by no means a master chef; rather I am sharing my experiences with you. I am a stay at home mommy with three little children on a mission to provided healthy food for my family. I have health problems that I am trying to address through nutrition. I can’t eat gluten (Celiac Diseases), certain chemicals, or food preservatives, pretty cool huh? Basically, all my cooking is from scratch. So efficiency, durability and easy to use cook wear is important to me.

-So here is to a healthy kitchen and lifestyle!-

P.S. These guys don't give a rats ()() about eating well.

2 comments: