Friday, January 21, 2011

Your Grandma Was Right!

Your Grandma Was Right…

I remember my mother telling me stories about my grandma giving her cod liver oil as a child. I still, to this day, remember her shuddering as she described the taste cod liver oil. My mother’s memories left an impression with me, only being a five year old little girl- that cod liver oil must be worse than death. Needless to say I never really gave it much thought until many years later sitting in the doctor’s office.

The Doctor came into the room with my chart in his hands and gave me” The Look”. You know that “look” -the one that says it all. He is about to tell something you DON’T want to hear and you actually going to pay him to hear bad news. Right then and there I REALLY did consider sticking my fingers in my ears. No new, is good news, RIGHT?! Well… I sighed and braced myself like the adult I was supposed to be- for the news.

It wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. “Your Vitamin D levels are way too low.” The doctor announced, writing a prescription. Well that explained a lot of my symptoms!

Vitamin D is needed in our bodies for:

  • Healthy skin
  • Strong bones and teeth
  • Healthy joints
  • A healthy cardiovascular system
  • A healthy nervous system and prevention of depression and other mood disorders
  • A healthy lining for your digestive tract[1]

“Vitamin D prevents osteoporosis, depression, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and even effects diabetes and obesity. Vitamin D is perhaps the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition. That's probably because it's free: your body makes it when sunlight touches your skin. Drug companies can't sell you sunlight, so there's no promotion of its health benefits.”- Mike Adams and Dr.Michael Holick

Our diet provides the rest of our Vitamin D through concentrated whole food sources such as fish, butter, eggs or even cod-liver oil. I guess is safe to say the average American diet has really moved away from tradition forms of whole foods. Oddly enough, I read somewhere that about 40% of the American population is deficient in Vitamin D[2]Not surprising considering that- raw butter/ milk, and eggs (the yoke is FULL of vitamin D) have been demonized by the food industry. Not only do we as a society eat the incorrect things we have exceeded in perfection of becoming THE ultimate cave dwellers-we have no reason to spend time outside.

Euerka! All I have ever wanted to do is eat real food. I mean, can anyone REALLY tell me that MARGARINE tastes good (It taste like plastic to me) or that they LOVE fat-free food?? I have always assumed that there is a reason why food tastes good, -we are driven to eat what our bodies require. So… go take a walk on the wild side- in the sunshine-…go eat some butter (raw of course), take some fermented cod-liver oil…I DARE YOU!!! You may NEVER come back…

On the Less Serious Side-

So…. Are They Vitamin D Deficient or Crazy?

You do the math Dear Reader….I would say a little bit of

both! So what do YOU think?




[1] Vitamin D Chart compiled Mike AdamsCompiled by Mike Adams, based on an interview with Dr. Michael Holick, author, [2]The UV Advantage)Vitamin D Chart compiled Mike Adams

Source: VEER.COM/DIGITAL VISION PHOTOGRAPHY

Source: health.ezinemark.com



No comments:

Post a Comment