Monday, March 8, 2010

Healthy Cook Wear


There seems to be a debate going on. And the answer is yes, a single payer system will both save money (classic David Copperfield misdirect) AND kill your grandma. Yet, I don’t really believe that a single payer system is the complete answer but this is a rabbit trail; let’s start over, Gentle Reader.


(Take two)


There seems to be a debate going on between Health-Nerds about what is considered "healthy" cookware. Cookware comes in many different materials*, but are far from equal. You have lot of options to consider; safety, price, aluminum, stainless steel, Teflon- coated, enamel, cast iron, and frankly, with this being the final season of Lost, who has the time? So here you go, and of course you're welcome!


Aluminum-

Aluminum is you’re basic, easy to find light weight low cost cook wear. It's the Honda Accord of the kitchen. In my experience, and yes, I do have experience; acidic foods and food storage utilizing aluminum are an exercise in futility. It will oxidize, and there is nothing that can done about this. Clean up, forget about it. I've had these soaking overnight (at least pretend to surprised). I also find that when aluminum is used to cook food in it leaves a hard to pin down after-taste, hereby know as...... aluminumy?

There’s also is the non-scientifically proven link between risk of alzheimer and aluminum. Still why risk it? I don't use anti-perspiant with aluminum so I'll be consistent. Where DID I put my keys?

Stainless Steel

Stainless steel is a corrosion resistant steel. It's easy to use, and in my opinion the safest to use in the healthy kitchen. They do tend to be heavier then standard pots and pans, so you will get a forearm workout. I don't notice any kind of after taste associated with it. I haven't noticed any particular reaction to more acidic foods. If you take care of them, they'll outlast a human. I HEART stainless steel. As I say, like Iron Man, "It's is sexy and indestructible!" They are available in a variety of prices. The more layers, the more expensive the set. I picked up an eight piece, five-ply set, for about $200. Name brand sets will run you about $500. Layers offset with other conductive materials like copper and aluminum spread the cooking heat around, so make sure you cook at lower temperatures.

Teflon Coated

These are a light weight pan with a non-stick coating. I owned a set of these, then I woke up. I noticed the nonstick coating was flaking off. Yikes! It accrued to me I was ingesting this stuff. Apparently there are rumors of toxic fumes and perflorooctanoic acid. This potentially carcinogenic chemical is used to make the non-stick coating. I have read about this being found in the blood streams of unborn children. So I got rid of those! Better safe than sorry!


*Welcome to Health School, suckers!

Continued….on next Blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment